Monday, December 27, 2010

Flu Prevention and Remedy

Last Monday night, my son came down with the flu. He just didn't feel right, but couldn't explain it. Then the fever came. "Ugggghhhhh," I thought. We had neglected to take our Vitamin D for about a week. The first thing I did was give him some D, some C, and put him in bed. The next morning, he stayed home from school, and I continued the Vitamin D and C regimen, taking them myself, as well as giving it to my daughter. That night he got out of bed, speaking in tongues, and then went into the living room and threw up all over the carpet. As I prepared his midnight bath, he asked, "Mommy, am I gonna die?"
"No," I said.
"Is there even a 1% chance?"
"If there was, we would be at the hospital right now."
That's when I realized why people go to the doctor and hospital so often for every little thing. We have been scared by statistics (reported incorrectly) about deaths from flu, and when kids feel that bad we want someone to fix it, lest they become a statistic. The truth is, the flu does feel horrible, but treated correctly, will come and go before you know it.
If TREATED CORRECTLY. My son was fever free by Thursday. Feeling perfectly fine...ready to play...eat...live. This was not a stomach bug, often mislabeled the "flu." This was fever, chills, aches, and delerium. His highest fever that we read was 102.6. That's pretty high for a kid who is normally 97. He also has a history of lung problems...croup as a baby, pneumonia, and asthma (that we nipped in the bud at age 3 with vitamins) so I waited for the secondary infection so many people get after the flu (which is what people actually die from). He doesn't even have a sniffle.
We have liquid Vitamin D at home, so I gave this to my son morning and night. Also, Vitamin C all day. (I did this once when he was 5. That summer he had a fever of 105 and I gave him Vitamin C until he had a really good bowel movement. You can give it until it causes stomach discomfort or loose stools).
I am still flu-free and so is my daughter. If you want to learn more about using Vitamin D, here is another great article from Dr. Mercola:

No comments: