Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Unplugging Appliances to Save Money

I don't remember why I did it, but about a month ago, I decided to unplug all the electric appliances that don't get used frequently to see what it would do to my electric bill. The weather in both months was comparable, so there wasn't really a difference in the heater coming on periodically (gas furnace, but electric blower). The difference was a 25% decrease after unplugging everything. The things that I did not unplug included my PC, wireless router, washer/dryer, fridge, lamps, and a second PC. I have since unplugged more after seeing that it saved some dough. The washer and dryer are unplugged and I'm going to start unplugging my PC and wireless router for not only money reasons, but also health reasons.

Last year our electric company installed a smart meter. We do not have an opt out option where I live, so I've been pretty ticked about the whole thing. Many people have reported skyrocketing electric bills with the smart meter, not just in my city, but across the country. That is entirely a different issue, but my main concern is that people smarter than me are saying it's a health hazard. Now, I admit I have a microwave in my house (GASP!) and use it sometimes. So I feel kind of hypocritical worrying about the smart meter and its health implications. But I guess what gets me is that I can choose to lose the microwave if I wanted, and the smart meter has been forced on me. I did move the microwave to the end of the kitchen which is just opposite the outside wall which holds the smart meter, so at least the offenders are together now. But I've unplugged the microwave, so hopefully 99% of the time, it's like it isn't even there.

If you are wondering what in the world I'm talking about, read 17 Ways to Minimize Exposure to Dirty Electricity & EMFs, by Lloyd Burrell.

Whether you do it to save money, or save your health, I think it's common sense to unplug things that aren't being used. I've read in forums people stating what a pain it would be, and it just hasn't affected my day to day living at all. This is mostly because I do laundry in chunks of time, hardly ever watch television, and just don't use a lot of electronics everyday requiring me to plug stuff back in. Give it a try and see what happens to your bill! And remember that even if it only goes down a little bit, it's probably helping your body as well, so that is definitely worth it!

No comments: