Saturday, June 10, 2023

Electric Lawnmowers - Eco Friendly?

I was cutting my grass today, and realized that I'm no longer self-conscious about using my corded electric lawnmower. I mean, it's been 12 years, so it's about time. But I started thinking about how people are probably now thinking about getting an electric mower for themselves since electric cars are being pushed on us for their "eco friendliness." I guess a lot of people have been using battery operated lawnmowers for a while, but not many people choose corded for obvious reasons. Why did I? And why did I switch to electric 12 years ago before it was all the rage?

Truth is, I started having shoulder problems and couldn't start my gas mower very easily. Not to mention, the maintenance on a gas mower is much higher. There is essentially NO maintenance on a corded electric mower. The electric mower is so easy to start- you literally just push a button. Also, now that I'm older and the sun is hotter (IT IS!) it's also nice that electric mowers are lighter and easier to push. I probably chose corded at the time because they are cheaper, but also because I didn't want to be stuck with a run down battery when my job wasn't finished yet!

I definitely didn't choose an electric mower for eco-friendly reasons, because they aren't! Don't let anyone tell you it is a better option than a gas powered lawnmower. The only benefit is that you aren't breathing in gas-produced fumes. The production of the energy at the power plant is NOT cleaner than gas if it is powered by coal, and most are. Oh, I just remembered- I also don't have to store gas or worry about having enough to cut the grass. I had forgotten about those days. 

I am on my 3rd electric mower. I can't remember the brand of my first mower, but it might have been a Greenworks. My second was Task Force, which doesn't seem to be available anymore, which might be a good thing because it didn't last very long. I'm currently on year 5 of this Greenworks mower, which (gotta love Amazon records!) was only $152 with tax when I bought it in 2018.

I like to plan ahead, and I already started researching what I would buy if this one died, and I'm thinking about going ahead and buying a new one and passing this one down to my son. While the Greenworks mower has a metal deck and holds up to all my banging into things, it weighs 56 lbs. and the one I've got my eye on is only 39 lbs. It's lighter because the deck is made of plastic rather than metal. But hey, no rust! The only drawback is that the new mower would require a new cord, because it is 13 amps and the cord I have for my 12 amp is not the correct gauge for 13 amp at 100 ft. (I'm not sure I've been using the correct rated gauge all these years now that I'm looking at the numbers). A new cord would be more than $150. BUT... If you compare the cost of a new mower and cord over their lifetime, they are still much cheaper than having someone cut your grass. And it's free exercise and detoxing in the heat! The mower I'll probably get this time is the Ryobi. I think it has a larger grass catcher than the Greenworks, but I can't find any specs on it. It will require less dumps, but it will be a heavier haul when full. I only use the catcher for leaves, or when weeds have flowered, so I can keep the seeds from depositing on the lawn as much as possible. Also, when I do my first cut on Bermuda each spring. Otherwise, I let the clippings stay on the lawn. 

If you are considering an electric mower, I hope my thoughts have given you some things to think about. For the most part, if you're looking for a low maintenance, lightweight mower that you can start repeatedly with the push of a button, it's a great option. 

I almost forgot...my Greenworks mower is quieter than a gas mower, too. That means I can use it earlier in the morning, or later at night when it's cooler without irritating my neighbors. I hope the Ryobi is the same!

No comments: