Saturday, June 10, 2023

How to Make your Hot Water Heater Last 30+ Years

 Most people think their hot water heater needs replacing more often because they don't make things last as long anymore. This is true for most appliances and electronics, but I don't think it's true for hot water heaters. They usually fail because of rust issues that cause leaks. What most people don't realize is that there is a way to prevent this rust!

Do you know what this is?


It is called an anode rod, and it came out of my hot water heater after about five years. Simply put, an anode rod (also called a sacrificial rod) is used to keep the hot water heater from rusting. There is science behind this that I don't have the capacity to explain. There are tons of videos about this on YouTube, and videos that show you how to replace yours. This one is bent because the ceiling in my basement is not high enough to allow it being pulled straight out, so they had to bend it to get it out. The replacement anode rod looks like this, so that it is easier to put in and get out:

I replaced my anode rod for three reasons:

1. The plumber was there to switch my range from electric to gas, so it was convenient to have him do it. This is a DIY project, but with my brand water heater (Bradford White) I knew it was hard to get the rod out because it requires strength and tools I don't have on hand. 

2. I knew it needed to be done at some point, but not sure when. The one removed probably could have stayed in for a bit longer. Water quality determines how often they should be replaced, so there is no hard and fast rule. You can check yours annually to see how it looks, and then you'll know how often to change it in the future.

3. I wanted to switch from an aluminum rod to a magnesium rod. Once I learned about the anode rod, I wondered if the rod had the ability to leech into the water. There is no concrete evidence either way, but to be safe, I wanted to switch to magnesium. Some articles say that magnesium rods tend to need replacement often, but again it depends on your water.

If you want to learn how to change your anode rod, just search the brand and "anode rod replacement" on YouTube and you will be sure to find exactly what you're looking for. Or just call your favorite plumber and have him do it. While he's there, he can drain and flush your water heater. This is supposed to be done annually! If you can't DIY and don't have the money to pay a plumber, you might have a friend or neighbor that can help you out. It will be worth it if you never have to replace your hot water heater!

No comments: